Sunday, October 3

Chauvinism

I consider myself a Feminist, and I'm proud of it. I do my best to act accordingly in everything I do, especially when it comes to raising and educating my kids.

Turns out that having a son after three daughters prompts quite a few people around us to offer comments with a blatant chauvinistic flavor. It was truly saddening to see how ingrained chauvinism is in so many people. The precise wording doesn't really matter (an example would be "At last! Now you've finally got a diamond in the family!"), but more importantly - there's no mistaking the intention expressed, that having a boy is better than having a girl.

Needless to say - I don't subscribe to this point of view. I can't imagine I'd ever love my child more (or less) due to their gender. In the beginning, I used to murmur something about a 4th daughter having been equally welcomed. Lately, I've decided to simply ignore such remarks, wishing that I would have been spared hearing them altogether.

Giora

No comments: