Friday, October 23

Driving a Toyota Prius

Ever since we moved to Pittsburgh, in 2005, I wanted to own a Toyota Prius. I was literally fascinated with the Hybrid technology, and liked a lot the energy-efficient direction.
However, the car was so much more expensive from our used $5K Dodge Neon, and it made little sense to spend so much money on something that needs to get me from point A to point B. Even the subsidies Google used to grant for Prius purchasing in the US, when I worked for Google Pittsburgh, didn't make it a reasonable investment for us.

During my visit to California in the past two weeks, I came as close as it gets to owning a Prius (well, short of buying one). The rental company had them, for practically the same rate as the regular Chevies, and I was delighted! The sweet car drove smoothly and flawlessly around the Bay Area, to Berkeley (twice) and to Yosemite over the weekend. The vehicle is very quiet, the concept of pressing a button to ignite the car is neat and it felt like the gas it used for the whole period was equivalent to a daily commute of the average American Guzzler...

I'm tempted to consider buying a Prius in Israel :-)

Giora

No comments: